The woodworking and carpentry profession is one that is highly-respected and offers great wages once you become skilled. It’s a field wherein there are not as many young people because there’s not as much burnout as other construction fields.
The field of carpentry and woodwork goes back hundreds, if not thousands of years. It’s one of the world’s oldest and most critically important trades. It has been an essential trade for all humanity’s progress. Although established years and years ago, it has expanded and evolved tremendously as new techniques, technologies, and materials have been developed.
What You’ll Do
One of the best parts of the carpentry field is the growth it allows for. As you progress, you’ll learn plenty of transferable skills that can be applied to many types of carpentry jobs. This field represents one of the most versatile occupational sectors that you can enter. It is a truly wide-ranging trade which allows you to specialize in many different areas such as:
- Framing Carpenter
- In this position, you will help build homes, condos, and townhouses. Depending on the specific job you’re working on, you’ll be involved in framing exterior and interior walls, building stairs and framing decks and roofs.
- Commercial or Industrial Carpenter
- In this position, you’ll assist with the construction of hotels, office towers, schools, hospitals, and many other types of buildings. You could specialize in building concrete forms or performing various finishing tasks.
- Bench Carpenter or Cabinetmaker
- Very self-explanatory, however in this position, you will do a lot of cutting, shaping, and assembling of wood products. If you’re interested in power saws, mortisers, jointers, and other kinds of woodworking machinery, you’ll love this job.
- Carpentry Assistant
- Again, this job is very self-explanatory. In this position, you’ll do everything to help established carpenters with basic tasks.
Other Positions include:
- Machinery Operator
What You’ll Earn
What you earn as a carpenter is only limited by your desire to work and learn. Many highly-skilled carpenters and woodworkers get paid extremely high wages. To earn the most possible, you’ll want to strive to become a carpentry lead or manager. Even opening your own contracting business can help you achieve extremely high pay. As a journeyman carpenter, you’ll earn around $45,000.
Why You’ll Love It
Carpentry offers a ton of great benefits for people in search of a long-term career. Whether you enjoy fixing items at home, crafting presents for friends and family, or just love the trade, and carpentry will provide you with great physical and mental benefits.
Will carpentry be a good career for you? If you’re wondering about that at all, it’s best for you to reach out to us at Steel Toe Jobs and we can provide you some advice.
Steel Toe Jobs is the best place for local job seekers to connect with the best local employers in the Construction Industry. We’re not just about jobs, we offer our job seekers the latest news, insights, and resources too. We cover the BC, Alberta, and Washington region but if you’re looking for opportunities abroad we can help you too. Our aim is to help job seekers specifically interested in the Trades, Apprenticeships, or Skilled Jobs in Construction to find their path.